Because so many people ask us about the “Mormon Rules” I’ve put together a list of the many things that are required of Mormons in order to be a faithful member in “good standing”.
1. Pay 10% of your Gross (before tax) income, aka Tithing. In addition, contribute extra amounts to various church funds such as Fast Offering, Missionary fund, Building fund, etc.
2. Do not question Mormon authority. Mormons are taught that when their “prophet” speaks it is coming from God. They are told that when the prophet speaks the thinking has been done. Members are expected to obey whatever they are told without any hesitation or skepticism.
3. Fully believe in and frequently reiterate that you know the Mormon church is true, the only true church which was formed by Joseph Smith after his claimed face to face visit with God.
4. Pass a worthiness interview yearly so you can attend the temple where you perform religious ordinances for the dead and learn the secret phrases and motions that will supposedly enable you to enter heaven.
5. Once you attend the temple for the first time you will begin wearing the special underwear (called garments) which you must wear day and night. (You take them off for only the obvious reasons like bathing and intimacy but put them right back on.)
6. No smoking, no alcohol (not even a little) no coffee (not even decaf), no tea (not even green tea!)
7. Get married early. No sex before marriage. No living together.
8. Have children early (right after you get married) and have many. Not having the financial resources to properly take care of your children is considered an "excuse" and is invalid.
9. Preach to your non-Mormon friends, family and co-workers and try to get them to become Mormon.
10. Do not associate with other non-Mormons (except when engaged in #9 above.)
11. Young Men (age 19) are to serve a two year mission to attempt to convert others to Mormonism. This is at their own expense. They are not allowed to visit family during this time. College is not considered a priority until after a mission has been served.
12. Women are expected to marry only a man who has served a mission (referred to as a “Returned Missionary”.)
13. Attend all church meetings. 3 hours (yes, three hours) on Sunday, plus additional meetings for many other things. “Good” Mormons find a Mormon church even while on vacation and attend on Sunday. Young Mormon couples are known to get married on a Saturday and attend church the very next morning.
14. Follow a Dress code for church. Women cannot wear pants. Men should be wearing suits or at the very least a white dress shirt and tie.
15. Accept and perform whatever church job (aka "calling") they give you. This takes much additional time.
16. Every member is asked to visit other members and teach a lesson out of a manual once per month. This is known as Home Teaching for the men, and Visiting Teaching for the women.
17. Fast once per month [which to Mormons is no food or water for 24 hours.]
18. Sundays are for church only, no “worldly” activities are permitted [this includes shopping, dining out, recreational activities, kid's sporting events, etc.]
19. Wear only very modest clothing: this means no shorts above the knee, no low cut tops for women, nothing sleeveless, etc.